The History of the Church (1
Click here to see the 1935 St. John's Wedding clip from British Pathe.
Kingston Vale, a staging post on the road from London, was
best known for many years for the local inns which provided
the services needed by travellers before the long haul up Kingston
Hill – thence on through Kingston to Portsmouth or the
Royal route to Hampton Court.
As part of the nineteenth century Christian revival, the first
church in the area was built in 1839 and on 22 June 1847, it
became the centre of a Parish in its own right. The present
church was consecrated on 22 July 1861 and was built on land
given by the Duke of Cambridge, using funds donated by the
Duchess of Gloucester (a daughter of George III) and others.
The Organ Chamber was added in 1871, the North Aisle in 1874
and the Choir Vestry in 1886.
Princess Mary Adelaide, the Duchess of Teck, who as a resident
in White Lodge in Richmond Park was a frequent worshipper in
the church, laid the foundation stone for the North Aisle.
of York and his fiancée (later to become King
George V and Queen Mary) attended the church on Sunday 7 May
1893, soon after the announcement of their engagement, together
with the Duke and Duchess of Teck and the Prince of Wales (later
to become King Edward VII). More recent memories of royalty
are of the attendance of the Duke and Duchess of York (later
to become King George VI and Queen Elizabeth) when they in
turn were in residence at White Lodge.more